Friday, September 23, 2011

Covering Ground

When driving cross-country, you eventually have to deal with mountains. Just where you hit them determines the frequency and height of the undulations, but you really can't avoid them all together.
You can tell by my posts that though I am physically pretty coastal, I am still in an emotional process of crossing mountain ranges. Whenever I feel like I've made some progress, another peak looms on the horizon. I hope this isn't making any of my readers carsick!
Anyway, yesterday I visited one of the gardens where I have applied to be an apprentice. It was just nice to be in the moving air and sunshine and to have earth in my fingernails rather than dough. I learned a lot from the gardener and he was a pleasant person to spend the day with. I am however crossing it off my list because it is so hot (Sacramento) and because I sensed a little dogmatism in the community, something I am highly allergic to after my last two jobs. These don't seem like huge, deal-breaker reasons, but maybe the real reason is it just didn't feel right. Over ten years ago (gulp) I was trying to choose where to go for my teacher training and a healer I was seeing at the time told me to close my eyes and tell her what came up when I thought of each place I was considering. I gave some similarly lame reasonings about two (which I just realized are also two of my garden choices - how wierd is that!) and on the third just burst into tears and said I just want to go there!
The end result of my garden visit was an overwhelming urge to get started! It is a little hard for me to be in the place I am right now because 4 monthes (or really 3 now!) is too short to completely forget about what's next and too long not to fidget. I will visit choice three this coming week and share my impressions with you.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wish you'd take a second look at the middle of the country, so I could import you to cook that Thanksgiving dinner for 20 (which you said would be easy)!

Great good luck on all your pursuits, Erin. I hope writing and sharing will always be a part of what you do. Blog on!
XO Auntie

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home