Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Affirmation

I have been working the early shift this week and am being given increasingly more independent projects, which I love. When we have to do projects in groups I get all bossy and controlling and irritated (and I'm sure irritating!). I made the biscotti and cottage pie almost start to finish, which is also satisfying.
Classes are getting much more interesting as we are getting past the health and safety crap. Yesterday Jessica introduced the work of Weston Price, which I knew about but not quite from its roots. She is also very passionate about it, which makes it more interesting. (Nobody is passionate enough about health and safety to make it interesting however.) Today we talked about menu planning which she approached by having us call out some classic family menus like Thanksgiving. That was really cool because we have a Mexican-American, a Guatemalan, and a Korean-American in the class, and we saw in action that every culture has its own methods of meeting universal balancing principles.
After work, checking my email, someone had forwarded a TED lecture by Elizabeth Gilbert about creativity and how our society puts so much pressure on people who choose a creative path and how we could and should support the magic of the creative process, rather than accepting that it seems to go hand-in-hand with mental instability. It was very beautiful. Then I checked my horoscope at Freewill Astrology which basically said "Erin, you should be doing exactly what you are doing and what you wish for is exactly what you are destined for!" OK, not exactly verbatim.
When I got home the house was empty, so I washed the day's grime off me and made a light but satisfying supper and ate it on the deck. As I ate a hummingbird explored the top of some nearby trees and I wished I could see it closer, so it came down and perched on the clothes line just long enough for me to look it in the eye and say "Thank you!"

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is a small world! In the summer of 2010, I talked with a friend who was in seminary at the time. He said Gilbert's work/video led him to his thesis --God's partnership in creative work.
I remember I had to find the video at the time.
So glad you found Three Stone, Erin. They are lucky to have YOU!
Love, Auntie

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful! You sound so excited about so many aspects of this new life! Cousin Mary

4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home