Sunday, November 13, 2011

Spreading Everyday Goodness

It seems I only write when I'm lonely, mad about something, or have something to brag about. I don't like this pattern; it puts the not-so-nice stuff out into circulation and only celebrates the monumental. I'm going to try to pay homage to the ordinary things that make life grand (incidentally I am trying to pay more attention to these things in my life in general).
I've had a really nice weekend after a bit of a hectic week. I planned to do a tour of bay area Goodwill stores yesterday which just happened to be their 50% off clothing day - sweet! Then I went to the local movie theater that also serves dinner while you watch the show. My pizza was overcooked and bland and my $4 artisan root beer had high-fructose corn syrup in it, but I managed to let these things roll off my back and really enjoyed the movie: J. Edgar. I guess I knew nothing about the guy, poor troubled man! Oh, and I began that day with sourdough crumpets I made which were a) so delicious I want to eat them for every meal and b) so much easier to make than I anticipated. I have been shy of sourdough because it seemed complicated and "scientific", but I am now very inspired to keep my starter well-cared-for and to try something out every week (maybe I'll try new things when I get tired of crumpets, which is not likely until mid-2012).
Today I am laundering all my Goodwill finds and roasting some Oz Farm delicata squash which I plan to stuff with the heavenly smelling confetti rice I just made and top with cheddar cheese for my brunch. This afternoon I will go to the kitchen and learn how to butcher a pig, and then there will be nothing on earth I can't do!
Okay, so there are maybe a few extraordinary things celebrated here, but I am also thrilled about things like squirrels running along the fence with food in their mouths and the miracle of the indoor shower!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can hardly wait for your next post on future plans following Three Stone Hearth! I am so excited for you, but I wish you didn't have the long drive. Your bed on Vintage awaits!

xoxoxxo Auntie Anne

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooray for delicata and paying homage to ordinary things.

Signed,
One of your academic relatives ;)

5:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home