Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Healing Retreat

I spent a renewing and relaxing weekend in the middle of nowhere. My dear friend Alysoun, whom I have not seen since she was pregnant with her first child (who is now 5) and her husband Tarry (and now 2 children) live in Mendocino county where he is the manager of a small organic farm. The only way to get there is to spend almost three hours on the exasperatingly winding Highway 1, but once there, the town of about 450 residents and the farm nestled in a fertile valley are charming and delightful. The farm and their house are totally off the grid. They are in the midst of making some improvements, but both toilet and shower are currently outside (and it is none too warm) and until a second yurt arrives this week, the parents' bed is in the living room. I stayed in the guest shack, which might sound unpleasant, but Alysoun has always been a masterful nest-maker, so I slept swaddled in down with a hot water bottle and was in heaven!
I read lots of sweet English storybooks to Brendan and Sophie, ate tons of fresh, delicious veggies and apples, visited their heavenly neighborhood bakery, and sat and watched the sea, but what really brought me back to life was our conversations. Alysoun and Tarry and I were all at Emerson together and there was plenty of good reminiscing, but we also share similar wishes and frustrations, and it was such fun to dream together. Alysoun is a brilliant listener and attention-giver and I just felt so taken care of all weekend!
On Sunday they packed my car full of produce; apples galore, a pumpkin, onions, garlic, greens, tomatoes, potatoes, zucchini, a bunch of fresh rosemary, and two sandwich bags of chanterelle mushrooms! I have eaten like a queen ever since!
I have felt lighter and more at ease since our visit and look forward to going back soon!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful visit! Just what you needed, it would seem, and just when you needed it! MKP

3:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing like compatible, old friends in a restorative setting, Erin. I'm so glad you could go.
I can just see you reading the stories too, to the kids' delight.
XO Auntie

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home