Sunday, February 18, 2007

Bliss - Part II

Yesterday lived up to its full potential and then some. It was one of Jame's famous best days ever.
It took me a little while to play with all my choices and decide what I was really longing to do. That is half the battle in accomplishing a best day ever. Just before eleven, I decided that just leaving the house and getting started was the trick. While shopping for finger puppet hair in Michaels, I had a vision of myself reading in the sun at the beach with a burrito and an iced latte.
Off I went to procure these supplies, then home to get the beach chair. My favorite beach is Cardiff State Beach, but apparently everyone else in North County had the same idea and parking was scarce. I decided to come back for a walk in the evening and went home to use my own patio with superior deck chairs as a substitute beach. My burrito was divine, the latte lasted for hours, I read and dozed and listened to music until I started to feel crispy.
I had given up the idea of doing any handwork, but I thought I might stop by Lori's to see what was shakin'. When I called she said nobody was doing handwork, they were just having margaritas and she'd save one for me.
I stayed and chatted for about an hour, then went off to yoga, where the only spot was a window-lit one in the front. At first I felt very self conscious there, being as usual both a newbie and the only person with any percentage of body fat (this IS southern California) but I had a better view of the mirrors from there and it helped me straighten myself out in the poses. And chubby or not, I've always loved mirrors! It was a great class, my teacher helped stretch me out several times.
Since I was near the video store, I thought I'd grab one on the way home, but while I was perusing the shelves, I felt I was wasting daylight (in a very real way; it was 5:30) so I went home to grab a sweatshirt and drove back to the beach, now with plenty of parking, lit only by the sun's after glow and the sky's reflection on the water.
A heavy mist made everything seem magic! I walked a bit and sampled the fingertips of the in-rushing waves with my feet. The air was cooler, but the cool that is so welcome at the end of a hot day, still spiced with its warmth. I climbed through the rocks in the almost-dark back to the car and went to get ice cream for dinner - it was that kind of day. I ate my ice cream in the car overlooking the ocean and watching the stars appear over it.
Then I went to Trader Joe's to get some essential groceries and some snacks for my upcoming road trip and back to the video store where I picked up a delightful gem that I don't think ever made it to the theater. When I went to bed I left the window open a crack and the birds were singing all night long.

1 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely day. I think the patio/book/latte sounds superior to the crowded beach! I do wish you were closer, but I appreciate being virtually connected via your blog. And, next time it's a perfect day, think of our snow-covered front walk and our car spending the night next to a tree at the bottom of the driveway, and the air will feel even better--if that's possible. (Car and tree unscathed.) Love from Birchrunville, S

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home