Saturday, February 10, 2007

Picking up speed

Posting has been spotty of late as I am sad to report that even in Southern California, I've been under the influence of the midwinter blahs. There was a hint of spring smell on the breeze though this morning and I feel I once again have anecdotes to share.
On Thursday night I was blow-drying my hair during the commercial breaks of Grey's Anatomy. On one sprint from couch to bathroom mirror, one of my toes caught in the opposite pajama leg, sending me hurtling forward onto the carpet. This happens to children all the time, and it happens to me more often than you'd think. I came away with a skinned knee and a foot that is still a little out of whack from the hearty tug of pajama on toe.
Friday was the end to what felt like the longest week in history. Even my 5 and 6 year-old students were glad it was Friday, and they usually don't know what day it is at all!
I decided to return my hair to the strawberry blond it was in childhood, but shopping for haircolor in a box is very confusing. I was nervous that I would make myself look like the business end of a corn husk broom, but the color I bought is only a touch lighter than my natural shade, enough that I notice it but no one else does. So I guess that was a good practice run. In another 4 to 6 weeks I'll try going even lighter!
All week I have been looking forward to making scones to bring to our handwork circle on Saturday! After my coma-like nap after school on Friday, I went out to procure ingredients. I decided on Cherry Chocolate Chip. I even had to get a cookie sheet, as this house is woefully unprepared for baking. While procuring said pan at Target I thought I'd breeze by the small appliances, knowing what a breeze my life would be if I owned a food processor. The one I had been considering was on clearance for $15, which made the decision for me and my scones were whipped together in no time this morning. I brought them to the gathering in basket covered with an April Cornell napkin, still steaming from the oven - a fairytale illustration come to life. I ate five of them.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am a fellow (what would be the feminine equivalent of that adjective?) devotee of both scones (I tweaked the Tassajara recipe for several years after returning from my time in England until I got what I liked, but it is much moister and less crumbly than most American scones) and Grey's Anatomy (I just watched the latest episode online, where the minimal commercials wait for you, and there is no danger of rushing and tripping on one's toes or pajamas!). I even dyed my hair once, last spring, for the first and only time; I did it because I thought I was just scared to do it, but now I know I don't like it for me. (There are still some splatters on the pale ivory yellow paint in the bathroom wall, and only Anna our 7-year-old fashionista, noticed.) I love reading your blog.

9:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Erin,
Karin Paige and her lovely sister Kathy recommended I read your blog. You write with such energy, such joy, I'm in their debt. And yours.
Email me if you'd like to know why two of our friends think we should share.
Peace,
Phil

6:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been scone crazy as of late as well, baking up Cranberry Orange ones to celebrate Sunday or a glass of water or a new pair of socks.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home