Monday, January 15, 2007

Moving On

Apparently, great strides were made in laptop capabilities just after mine was born. I am seduced by the ability to watch dvd's or burn cd's. (Come on! How long ago did that technology surface! Who buys a computer that can't do that!)
It has been suggested that I could buy components that would do these things for me, but we run into confusing territory when trying to get new gadgets to speak to old ones. Computer generations seem to be the blink of an eye! And once you've paid for all those external things, would it not be more efficient to buy a new computer?
So I am looking at doing just that in the not so distant future. My predicament is that I could get a brand new one for relatively little cash, but it wouldn't be a mac. That would just about double the price. Tell me, what am I paying for besides status and aesthetics again?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've have a HP laptop, Erin, and love it. Got it at Sam's.
Great technical support via the phone!

Anne

3:03 PM  
Blogger Jamie said...

What does one need besides status and aesthetics?

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One nice thing about a Mac (besides the status and aesthetics) is that it doesn't get viruses. I'm sorry to hear that that little computer isn't doing it for you anymore!

6:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I couldn't have written "I've have" ---!!!

Anne
Let Jamie and me know what you purchase. We need to know.

7:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I live contentedly with my Dell, I am a huge fan of Macs for anyone who can afford one and whose workplace can readily embrace one if it is used for work. A stable operating system and true thought of how a computer will be used by real people are both blessings that extend beyond status or aesthetics. Macs are fine wine; Windows-based computers are stale bread. You can eat them and live, but wouldn't you rather have the wine, and not support the Gates model: market power is all you need. (Thankfully, Melinda has helped humanize his image, if not his software.)

In the end, however, a computer is just a tool. Go Windows if need be, but get good virus and spyware protection.

P.S. I don't lurk often, but I do check in. If you're evey passing through the land of enchantment, please let me know.

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home