Thursday, April 20, 2006

Jupiter, Bringer of Jollity!

I expect this post to be a doozy; I'm just powering through a profound absence of material.
I'm on a mission to reclaim the excitement of Thursday night. It's always been a night to look forward to but lately I find myself obseving it with a book and early bedtime.
When I was a senior in high school I'd go to church choir rehearsal with my voice teacher. I idolized him and treasured this privileged time with him.
In college my roommate Karen and I would make dinner together and settle in front of the tube for the Must See TV lineup (before it was called that, I think).
When I lived in France, I sang in the choir at the American Cathedral in Paris. After rehearsal we'd hit the Lizard Lounge, a bar frequented by British and American expats. We'd often stay 'til last call and then, having missed the last train back to the burbs, I'd crash with friends. It was always a wild time!
On Thursday nights there is always contra dancing at Glenside Memorial Hall. I went once by myself several weeks ago because nobody wanted to join me, and it turned out to be a liberating experience. It's really fun! But I find myself unwilling to repeat my liberation. I'd rather go with friends, which at the moment appear to be a scarcity.
Anything will do! Food, TV, drinks, dancing, board games! It just requires a few to gather and get the ritual started. Thursday is connected with the planet Jupiter whose influence is said to inspire social forms, so it just doesn't make sense to spend Thursday night by yourself!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home