Saturday, April 15, 2006

Ode to a Goldfish

As much as I fantasize about not having a job, I begin to see that I'm not really ready for a life of total leisure.
Wednesday was my big day this week: I went to the dentist and then met Alysoun and Tarry at the international arrivals hall at the airport to visit with them during a layover. Having not had my fill of the airport, I went back on Thursday with Shay to pick up our all-expenses-paid-lunch ticket, Kevin. We ate until we were nauseous (or is it nauseated) and then I think I spent the rest of the day and night on the internet.
Friday I fully intended to leave the house, but put it off 'til 7 or so when I went to a movie. It was liberating to get out and I felt a great kinship with my fellow human beings. I came home and thought I'd go to bed early, but ended up reading a real dung heap of a book til about 11 when I could take no more and switched to the new Jennifer Weiner, but then that was interesting so I stayed up 'til about 12:30. Then I woke in the middle of the night suffocating because it was so hot in my apartment. I opened a window and felt a tremor of trepidation about the rising temperatures of summer. So of course I was in no hurry to get up this morning and was feeling like if they made a movie about my life right now it would be the kind where the person is so pathetic you can't stand it and then their only friend, who is a goldfish, dies and they go berzerk and start living out of a shopping cart in the park. Determined not to get to the point where I felt the need of a fish, I went to the park. I decided not to take my ipod, as constant listening has got me singing random lines out loud to myself a la Turrets syndrome. When I got to the park I got out a good old-fashioned pad of paper and the kind of pen they give away at the bank and started to write. What came out was a pretty good first draft of a short story! I was feeling much better. Close on it's heels followed the chorus of a song, and then 2 verses! Yay me! Then I scribbled down the tune before it escaped me. Pretty pleased with my quick rehabilitation, I put on my backpack and went to Whole Foods to get lettuce (it's my job to bring the salad to Easter dinner). All the way there I was humming my new song and I could hear the guitar chords in my head. When I got home I grabbed the much neglected guitar from the closet and tried to play what I heard. No luck. I think I need some lessons. But I figured out the chord progression and can play the bass line along with my singing and I think it's gonna rock!
It's been nice to take a break from the 10-3 (my version of the 9-5) but I'll be happy to return to the form and structure of work on Tuesday. I think the lesson for this week is that structure, while it can strangle and kill you if it's too tight, will keep you from lunacy and dead goldfish.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home