Friday, June 23, 2006

Stop the ride, I wanna get off!

I'm going to become an activist. My cause is not as grand as feeding hungry kids or creating new energy sources or even getting people to fix their free roaming dogs and cats. I think they need to inform movie-goers if the film they are about to see has been shot with a single camera! Somebody once told me that this is the technique which gives the picture that boat-on-a-choppy-sea feeling. Too many times I have innocently purchased tickets to see an acclaimed film only to leave the theater at the end of it sick from simulated motion! I'm a sensitive one; pretty much anywhere but the driver's seat of a car is bound to make me queasy. Oddly enough I'm fine on boats!
Anyway, back to my cause. The first time I encountered this edgy yet nauseating film trick was in Breaking the Waves. I saw it in Paris. As the film wore on I felt progressively sicker and I began to wonder what I might have eaten that was so disagreeable to my stomach. I only figured it out when I had left the theater and walked home in the fresh air; it was exactly like a nice walk after a long ride in the back of a car!
Since then I have been trapped again and again and like a sucker I sit there and take it! Culprits include Pieces of April, The Bourne Supremacy, and Happy Endings. (The latter was compounded by the fact that it was a sold out Philly Film Fest showing and the only seats left were extra chairs added in front of the regular seating, about a foot from the screen. The only benefit to this front row situation was that there was no one in front of me to be yacked upon. It was a great movie, and I was able to just get through it only by standing at the back of the theater.)
Tonight was the first time I took a step for mankind, left the movie (which was also mind numbingly dull and depressing) and asked the manager for a refund. Oh I got the free pass to another movie all right, but as the manager it to me, his look seemed to say "I know you're lying but I don't care enough to argue with you"... and he called me girl! He was my age!
Screw the explicit lyric advisory! We need warnings on single camera films!
Caution! This film may cause motion sickness. Sensitive patrons are advised to medicate, or stay the hell out of the theater!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home