Sunday, June 04, 2006

Sports Therapy

This afternoon I played volleyball for an hour and a half.
WHAT?
I'm sure that's how anyone who knows me would react to my opening statement. I usually hate sports because I am not terribly gifted athletically and someone is always yelling at me for letting the team down. Or at least the were when I was a kid and the yelling usually persists in my head. But I was playing with my students. I am my best self around them because they see nothing but the best in me.
We played boys against girls. There were so freakin' many girls that it was a wonder there was any ground left uncovered on our side of the net for the ball to hit. And yet time and time again, the ball found the grass and the boys scored a point. What was so great was that absolutely nobody cared. When we did get the ball back over the net to score a point, every one of my teammates threw their hands in the air and let out the girliest scream they had in them! Some of the boys thought the screaming was fun so they started doing it too. The boys may have been kicking our butts in volleyball, but we had the screaming thing down!
My feet are cold and muddy and I'm worn out from playing outside. It's like being a kid again with no unpleasant yelling!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home