Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Naps

I think that one of the most glorious, decadent experiences on this earth is the perfect nap. And, as long as you have a bed, it's free!
Now, not all naps are created equal! If you don't have just the right conditions, you are not getting the full experience. You need enough time to drift off in a leisurely manner, sleep enough to rejuvenate yourself, and wake up gently. Different people have different ideal naptimes. I like a good 20 minutes to drift off, an even hour to sleep and another 20 to re-enter the earthly realm. It should be warm in the room where you're napping, but not sweltering, with a mild breeze from an open window if possible. Beds were made for sleeping and are therefore the superior location, but a well-designed couch or a beach blanket can sometimes surprise us. A little background noise is ok, but naps that are accompanied by the expletives of construction workers are just not quality.
I find that conversation is the most pleasant transition back into the land of the living. Since I live alone right now, I often have to make a phone call to get it. When I lived in England, my best friend and I had rooms right next to each other. In the morning I'd hear her up and about and would call out to her to come in and talk to me to help me wake up.
A light snack is nice after an afternoon nap. And a nap followed by a party a few hours later, well that is living!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home