Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Love, love, love!

Although I have only ever had a boyfriend for a part of one Valentine's day in college, I rarely get down about being single on February 14th. I like a day with a theme! I like when everybody wears pink! The taste in my mouth for this day is the Valentine breakfast table my mom would set for us. She used special dishes and there were little presents on our plates; a pink scarf or a ruby-esque, heart-shaped ring. Valentine's day love for me is the kind of love that is and always has been all around me.
I began my celebration today by opening the Valentine I got in the mail. It was from a 3- year-old and I think that may be the nicest kind to get! Then when I got to school and walked into the faculty room, I felt like Sara in A Little Princess when she imagines a feast as she's going to bed hungry and wakes to find the feast has materialized! Someone (I think it was the secretary, but in my rapture I forgot to thank her - oops!) had spread the table with a pink cloth and on it were cookies of many sorts and a festive heart-shaped cake with pink icing! Perfection! Later, as I left home in the evening to go to a lecture by a handsome and intriguing aquaintance of mine, the sky was a perfect Valentine pink and soaked everything in it's loving glow. The everyday neutrals of the cityscape were dressed up for a special evening!
The only celebratory let-down was the special programming on WXPN. They promised 88.5 great love songs and came up with the 88.5 crappiest songs that include love in their lyrics. That's not really fair; I only listened for the first half hour, but it made me want to hurl! So I thought about what my favorite love song picks would be. Here are my top 10 in no particular order:

Comfortable - John Mayer
For Baby - John Denver
In My Life - The Beatles ( I also love Judy Collins' cover)
I'm Yours - Jason Mraz
You Are So Beautiful - Joe Cocker
Case of You - Joni Mitchell
I'll Back You Up - Dave Matthews Band
Kissing You - Des'ree
They Were You - from "The Fantasticks"
Bridge Over Troubled Water - Simon and Garfunkle

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home