Sunday, November 20, 2005

Being Me

I went to a beautiful, fabulous, super-fun wedding last night! The bride looked like an old timey movie star, the groom virtually sobbed out his vows, the two families were so much fun and enjoyed themselves and eachother to the fullest! Love was in the air, and not in the way that has bridesmaids and ushers doing it in the janitor's closet. Everyone danced their hearts out! Everyone felt they had found themselves "in the valley of love and delight". It was the best night of all our lives!
I got ready for the big event at my sister's house with our dear friend who is like an adopted sister. When the primping frenzy had calmed, we saw we were clearly all working with the same color palette, but we took a moment to notice how each of us has a distinct look that reflects our character.
My sister we call the fancy lady - she's married, financially stable and as of yesterday, beginning to show her 4 month pregnancy. She wore a simple black dress with beautiful, quality, grown up dress shoes. She was acessorized by small but elegant diamonds.
My friend is the vintage eclectic. She too sported a little black dress. It had a modest neckline and hem and her shoulders were covered by a vintage-looking teal sweater in a bolero-esque style. She was wearing borrowed shoes because for as long as I've known her she has never owned "the right shoes" for a dress-up event. She topped it with a plaid wool vintage coat with a hood that she bought in San Francisco.
I must just make peace with this...I will never be the kind of elegant I see in other people. I wore black rayon dress pants with a black knit top with a ruched v-neck and flirty cap sleeves topped by a sequined, grey cardigan sweater. I had imagined I could wear the heels I had bought at Kohls for $13 for the wedding I'm in next weekend, but I got the distinct feeling when I tottered into them that this would end with me eating the sidewalk. My sister's old high heeled ankle boots saved the day and though many people would have been mortified to go to a wedding reception dressed like this, it was me ready for a party. I have quarrelsome feet and this is the truth of being me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home