Saturday, January 07, 2006

work and PLAY!

One of the reasons I am a teacher is that I occasionally need a week or two off from work and in the summer, say...3 months. It may sound lazy, but frankly my personal clock is set to the rhythm of the academic year and will not budge.
I am currently digging in my heels as time brings me screeching toward the end of one such break. Faced with days that are mine to fill as I like, I have been gobbling up all the things that I'd rather do than go to work. In the past two weeks I have been to Colorado to visit a dear friend, lost my luggage, had it returned to me, gone outlet shopping (most exciting purchase: a cast iron frying pan), had a fabulous lamb dinner at my sister's, attended an illegal New Year's bonfire, been to a slew of movies including my first ever sneaky-deak (two movies - one ticket); the employees of the Oaks multi-movie palace now recognize me and welcome me back! I've seen a community play, heard an epic story told and read an epic poem aloud, played board games, ate and drank with friends, tonight my housemates and I are planning a rotisserie chicken dinner, followed by contra dancing, followed by a possible Phantom of the Opera sing-along. And I haven't had a chance to go bowling or learn to tap dance!
This is why I can't understand how people put up with 40-hour week after 40-hour week of work with a meager two days in between to call their own. Basically all you can do in two days is clean your house and pick up your dry-cleaning and maybe squeeze in some friends for dinner. My hat is off to you if you can manage such a lifestyle, but until I can come up with a better plan I will take the downsides of educating America's youth in exchange for a chance at movie marathons and all-day bowling!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home