Thursday, September 14, 2006

The Healing Power of Cows

In the kitchen, I feel it borders on a religious experience to watch silky, runny cream turns into clouds under the whisk, or spreadable yellow butter in a jar jostled in your hands. A tall glass of real, fresh from the cow, undefiled raw milk is my idea of nature's perfect food. I have long reveared the cow for her part in creating such miracles. I even helped milk once, long ago. I've been in the barn with cows, but I realized the other day when Buttercup the "miniature" bread Jersey weighing around 700 pounds almost slammed me against the side of the barn, that I had some bridges to build. Today while Diana was mucking cow pies, it was my job to brush Buttercup. Animals know when you are afraid and it makes them nervous and apt to act rashly, so I knew I had to stop looking at her as a steamroller and start being her caretaker. It came right back to me how you keep one hand on a large animal at all times, so they know where you are and that you're friendly. I know this from taking care of horses. I was the Pony Camp Champion! I also experienced the origin of the word cowlick. Her hair grows in a straight grain in places and then it swirls into a vortex, changing direction without rhyme or reason.
Other things I learned today are: how to put together a beehive, that bees will only cause trouble with you if you are angry, aggressive or wearing read, that llama droppings can go straight to fertilizing while cow manure needs to cook on the compost pile, that tree trunks need room to breathe, and that they make electric lawn mowers.
I've heard it said for years that practical work with the earth is one of the most effective therapies for the speed and isolation of our times and I thought that was very wise. This morning totally slowed down my racing mind and made me feel connected and sufficient.
After all our work, I joined Diana, her daughter Gwynnie and Gwynnie's babysitter (the word is not sufficient, this woman is a total pro) Karen for lunch. We made a delicious lentil soup together and had it with bread and butter.
I guess I'll stay for a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jamie said...

sounds perf!

8:48 AM  
Blogger sara said...

I love this post and love you, and hope you soon get honey from those bees to enjoy with the deliciously perfect cow's milk.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home