Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Check-in

I've been kind of itching to write lately, with no particularly compelling subject in mind, so here's to the minutiae!
I colored my hair last weekend what I thought would be a sedate auburn. I was alarmed at first but have come to love the bonfire that happened instead. Just today I got it trimmed up and I am feelin' fabulous!
I am reading Clarissa Pinkola Estes' "Women Who Run With the Wolves" about the Wild Woman archetype seen in myths and legends and how that deep intuition has been stamped out of our culture over the years leaving many woman feeling they've lost a part of themselves. Having spent the majority of my life keeping the proverbial boat steady this all makes perfect sense and I'm treating my wild hair as kind of an homage to my personal Wild Woman.
In other news, many of you may have already heard through the grapevine that I will be cooking for yet another Kimberton hot spot; the Kimberton Hills Cafe. I am excited as I will be really at the wheel on this job and helping redefine and grow the cafe which has mostly been a well-guarded secret. About 7 years ago in England I was taking a class about figuring out the next step to take in your life and one of the exercises we did was to describe your perfect day ten years from then, including elements like work and home to get a picture of where you'd like to be going. The day I described included my work cooking for the community. (It also included my husband and at least one child, so if anybody wants to help me track THEM down that'd be great.) I've thought passively about that picture from time to time, but I am amazed at how quickly, when I really decided it was time to do it, it all came together. I didn't have to go back to school or get turned down ten times before somebody gave me a shot, it just fell into my open, waiting hands. I guess I'm feeling pretty lucky!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am delighted that you are posting again Erin! Also that parts of your dreams for yourself are coming into focus, and into reality.

Love, Cousin Mary

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope the cafe is accessible, Erin, as I want to plan a stop and meal at some time in the future!

I bet your hair is beautiful, as always -- just with a boost of color for a change.

XOXO Auntie A.

3:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home