Sunday, November 26, 2006

Here Nor There

I have decided to kindly but firmly decline the use of simple carbs in my daily meals, snack less and not eat after 6pm. I just could not face having to buy any bigger pants than I'm already wearing. I find the more people you tell about these resolutions, the easier it is to keep them.
I had the whole day free today and I thought I'd better keep it open to prepare for school resuming tomorrow, but if you know me well, you know I've never spent more than 20 minutes preparing in my life, so I was quite pleased when an adventure presented itself.
I was wrestling with the idea of going to IKEA for a laundry hamper. It is scandalous how much everyone else is charging for them! I was comparing prices on line when I heard a man's voice shouting "Hellooo?" So I went to the door and the fellow introduced himself. He is an artist who makes wind chimes from plant materials and obsidian (which I believe is lava rock?). He had gathered some apparently rare eucalyptus pods from our back lot and came to tell us he would like to send us a chime as a token of thanks. Never mind we don't own the land or the pods! He took down our address and gave me a free pass to the San Diego Arts Festival where his wife was at that moment watching their booth.
Since I needed to go to IKEA anyway, I decided to make a day of it. I got stuck in molasses-like game day traffic (IKEA is right by the stadium) but crowds inside the store were not bad at all for the biggest shopping weekend of them all. I of course got way more than just a laundry hamper, but it was all useful and life-improving.
Then I proudly sniffed out the convention center with no directions and caught the tail end of the craft show. It was like a sauna in there, just like the Kimberton Craft Show is every year, and the mall come to think of it! Why Are malls so hot and movie theaters so cold? It defies logic.
Anyway, I stopped in at the mans booth to thank him for the ticket in. He said "Oh good, you'll save me postage!" and told me to pick out a chime. He showed me which pods were from our yard and I picked one that looked like a bird in a nest, thinking it could be a reminder that a lone bird is not always the bearer of sorrow. The one hanging up had a broken tail, so he rooted around in the back and brought out a double birded nest! That has to be the best bird pair sighting yet! He carefully wrapped it up and sent me away with a sweet and sincere wish that I enjoy a wonderful holiday season.
The rest of the show was either not in my budget or not my taste. It was like a ghost town in there and over the murmur of shoppers a steel drum band was playing cheesy favorites like "Little Drummer Boy". I bought some delicious-smelling soaps from another crafter and finally, having seen it all, made for the door.
Parking seemed miles away and my dogs were barkin'. My Birkenstock Bostons do not have the aggressive support of my Arizonas and they had let me down. The last shoppers were trickling along the sidewalk and I decided to indulge in one of the pleasures of being a stranger. I took off my shoes and walked to the car in my socks, really not caring what passers by thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home