Thursday, October 05, 2006

An Affair to Remember

As I drove into town this afternoon to run a few last minute errands and say goodbye to my favorite hangout, I thought to myself that for all intents and purposes, I have been cheating on The Tree House with Jason's Studio Cafe. The Tree House was where I lived, worked, got a few pieces of mail and I am happy for its service to me and happy to say goodbye. But almost everyday, I would slip away, for some reason usually not admitting to where I was going, covering up with tales of the bank and the library, to sit in this cool green and white space, sip nectar, eavesdrop on conversations, and write. And this I am sorry to leave.
The owner and one of the baristas know me on sight (she did the Spatial Dynamics training at Kimberton). I sometimes recognize fellow customers. I definitely recognize the tunes on the air, an oddly pleasing mix of jazz, classical and motown, with a little steel drum action thrown in on odd days. One can usually expect at least one animated discussion of local politics, environmental issues, or the deplorable state of our federal government. I think what I like most is that here I feel connected. My nest has been a wonderful place to consider the true state of my being, free from the distractions of phone, email, tv, and people. But, my soul well inspected and tended to, I am looking forward to a life of connection again. Next week I will be going to work everyday, I will be able to use the phone when I need to or when I like and I hope I will still have of time to write. So farewell to the seclusion and the connection of Grass Valley, and thank you for both.


Solitude

Cheery Welcome!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home