Monday, August 07, 2006

I Crossed the Whole Damn Thing!

So, when last we heard from our heroine, she was sitting in the parking lot of a national park gift shop paying $3 an hour for internet access. Since then she has actually reached the west coast without succumbing to Deep Vein Thrombosis and is now coming to you from a bright and cheery cafe with FREE internet access, sipping an iced coffee. This is how it should be!
So on Friday, I drove all the way from Glacier to Anacortes which is about an hour north of Seattle, or would have been if it wasn't rush hour on a Friday in summer! Since then I have been getting a taste of my Dad's hard-working, boatman's life, scraping, sanding, taping and painting. My muscles are aching from unfamilliar work, but my tan is smashing!
The Nor'wester is docked at a working boat yard and I am the only female around most of the day. As I wielded the power sander, in shorts and a bikini top, one leg hanging in nonchalance over the edge of the upper deck, I imagined I must be a sight for sore eyes. I had dad take a picture, which I intended to share with you, but it turns out the photo is more likely to make eyes sore. Everything is so much better in the imagination!
The boat is a beauty! She is wearing the disguise of a construction site right now, covered bow to stern in paint cans and power tools, but her charm shines through. Anyone who knows me knows my soft spot for a fixer upper, so you can imagine that my mind is racing with improvement possibilities! I have to remind myself that it's not my baby and every evening as the damp rolls in, I am still glad to be headed south!
I have to go back to the laundermat where two heaping loads of cross country clothes and mildewy boat linen are about to be reborn, fresh from the dryer.
I leave you with these photos; the distant view from the Nor'wester - Mt. Baker...and the view as your step off the boat and onto the dock. The princess is trapped among the common folk and longing to show off her beauty in more dignified digs.



1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And your aunt and grandmother are relieved that you, and your car, made the long trip in good shape!
It looks like a beautiful part of this world, and I know your dad appreciates your contributions to the Nor'wester.
Have fun when the rest of the family arrive today.

A.

2:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home